Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rebirth and a Reminder

     My heart beats, it’s swelling with a mixture of love and excitement.  Just minutes ago, I was actually fretting about this very thing.  She was sitting in the pew next to me drawing and leaning on my arm seeming entirely too disinterested in it all.  I nudged her and asked her to listen and participate.  She assured me she was listening, I had doubts.  Then my worrying got the best of me.  I was thinking, panicking really, about what I could start doing differently.  I was feeling so discouraged wondering if either of them would ever choose to make their way in life with God leading them.
     I silently asked God to help.  Then I resumed listening myself.  Toward the end of this wonderful youth-led service, a beloved elder got up to talk about the things the kids learned at Summer Excitement this year.  He spoke of God and His love.  He spoke of real life and what these teens had to say about the things that hold them back from God.  His words came straight from his heart to his lips and had me wishing I could hurry and leave the building where I could go home and be alone with God.  I wanted to worship!  I wanted to seek His will and find it.
     He says he spoke for a long time, but it didn’t seem that way to me.  Before I knew it the invitation song was starting and she leaned over and whispered in my ear.
     “I want to be baptized.” She said.  At first I had to run the words back over in my head to make sure I heard them right.
     I looked in her eyes and said, “you do?”  She nodded and I grabbed her hand and walked her right up to the front pew, no more questions needed.  We have been talking about being saved and I knew the Spirit was calling her.  With tears in my eyes, I just sat there and listened to my family sing.  Thanking God, just thanking.
     She confessed her faith and we headed to the baptismal area to prepare.  When she came out with her robe on and a smile, I asked her if she wanted me to pray with her.  A sweet sister, Abbey and I held hands and I prayed a prayer of thanksgiving and I asked that God continue to bless my child and for Abbey to always remember this moment and to live long and happy walking in His ways.  We hugged and I sent her up the stairs toward her rebirth.  
     I watched from the side as her chosen baptist, Daddy, raised his hand and proclaimed, “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.”  She died and rose again.  My heart was so happy for her.  I wasn’t proud, but relieved, at peace, full of joy.  We talked tonight as she settled down to go to sleep.  I’m sure she is thrilled and has so many emotions of her own.  I asked her if she felt different.  She does.  What a night of surprise and an answer to a prayer, and more proof that worry is so futile.  My heart sings tonight.  It sings praises to my King.

1 comment:

JaniceM said...

Thanks for sharing the story of Abbey's baptism, Christi. The day I was baptized back on October 23, 1974 is a day I have never forgotten, and never will. I know this day won't ever be forgotten by Abbey, or you.
I have prayed for her and will continue to do so.

Give Abbey a big hug for me.