Monday, August 1, 2011

Dear Mom...

Dear Mom,
     I never thought about this much until recently, but I must have been quite a pain sometimes.  There were probably times where we were going to go somewhere exciting or get something new and you didn’t even want to tell me about it.  One little slip of the tongue about our exciting adventure and you would hear about it every hour on the hour until it actually happened.  And heaven forbid if the plans fell though and things changed.  Oh, bless your heart.
     I can remember one time when we went downtown with Deborah and Tricia.  There wasn’t much down there back then, but it was fun just the same.  We walked around window shopping, you and Deborah talking and Tricia and I happily skipping down the sidewalk.  We entered a jewelry store and little girls with starry eyes saw some cute little rings with birthstones in them.  “Can I have one, Mom, pleeaaasseee?  Can I, huh, can I, huh?”  You gave in with a loud and exasperated, “O.K., but that’s it.  Don’t ask for anything else today!”  I loved that ring the rest of the day.  I felt so grown up with my jewelry.




     You would sometimes make the mistake of telling me that we “might” go somewhere with some friends later in the week.  I must have driven you crazy asking how many days, minutes, and seconds left until we went.  There were times that things didn’t work out and I can imagine your dread when you had to tell me.  You probably had to explain the why we couldn’t and the when we might go, over and over again.  I had no mercy.
     I do now!  You’ll be happy to know that I got one just like me.  It makes me not want to tell him anything.  I told him just today that I wished he would learn to be more patient.  Then I started thinking about me at his age and immediately felt pity for you.  How can I expect him to be patient when it’s taken me almost 40 years to learn the little that I have been taught, through life itself?  All I can do is be patient when he drives me crazy being impatient, right?  What irony!
     Thanks for putting up with years of teaching me that you can’t always get what you want.  It is very much appreciated.  Would you like to come over and do it again?
Love,
Sis

No comments: