Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Kind Word = Beautiful Home


     The vibes around our home are all wrong.  One snapping, then the other, it seems no one can do a thing right.  I shake my head in wonder.  Why are they acting this way?  I can’t understand it, they were so happy yesterday when my day was going well and I woke up happy.  Then it hit me.  I didn’t wake up so happy today.  I woke up snapping and impatient.  My first words were criticism and discontent at what I found when I walked into the kitchen and a mess looked me in the eye and seemingly said, “Good morning, so glad you joined me.”
     I thought about all of the parenting books I’ve read and what my common sense tells me.  Of course, their mood will feed off of mine.  Aren’t we the same way as adults?  Our moods also feed off of others; seems we are on an endless chain of emotional roller coasters.  Does it have to be that way?  Of course not!  So how do I break this cycle?  Time to dive into God’s word again and find out what advice my Father has for me today.

     I read the most wonderful Proverb today in my Message version. 

Congenial conversation—what a pleasure!  The right word at the right time – beautiful! 

     I read many other verses about attitude and getting along with people and they all helped me very much.  But this one, really spoke to me.  It said to me, “The right word at the right time can make life beautiful.”  It can change everything from being ugly to being a sight to behold.  I have the power with a single word to change the entire atmosphere in this home.  I have to stop, sometimes count to ten, pray for sure, and say the right words.  I’m pretty good with words when I want to be so I can do this.


     If I ever think I can’t I must remember Moses. 

But Moses pleaded with the Lord, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”

Then the Lord asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord?  Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.”

     My attitude has to be one of willingness.  I need to be the peacemaker.  If I want peace in my home I can’t wait for everyone else to act like I want them to before I will be at peace.  No, I have to do my part even if no one else is doing theirs.  I could have paid better attention to the timing of my words, like the verse says.  The mess could have been addressed in a kind manner after a “good morning”, in other words.

No comments: