Saturday, August 13, 2011

School and Really Learning

     The school year is upon us.  I have the day free today to prepare and plan.  My lofty goals for my children put down on paper.  High hopes and great expectations, September’s New Year’s resolutions once again are made.  This year I am dreaming it up somewhat differently.  Could it be that the goals I’m making will finally be met, because the expectations are suiting and befitting of our family?  I hope so, and I thank God for bringing some things to my attention.



     A friend in my homeschool co-op shared her success with a more relaxed approach to learning, and I’m not sure that I will fit into the exact mold of a “relaxed homeschooler”, but it did help me start seeing things with a new perspective.  This year my goal is to work on the areas that need the most work.  For too long I’ve wasted time crossing off "to do's" and checking boxes, only to see them struggle where they have always struggled.  No time to work on those, because I had to keep checking boxes.  This year we are free and we will check more important, much needed boxes.  In areas where there is strength, a little more freedom will be given and I’m thinking I just might see the enthusiasm that has been missing around here.
     I am letting go, releasing some of the control so that some real learning can take place.  When we allow God to step in and we acknowledge Him, we are promised that we will be heading in the right direction. 
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
     Big things will happen this year.  Even if the children aren’t feeling enthusiastic, I’m beginning to get a tinge of excitement of the prospect of a real turnaround.  I am trusting and believing that if God can move mountains then He can help me teach my daughter to spell better and for my son to find skills he doesn’t know exist yet. 

No comments: