Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year

     Even though things weren’t picture perfect this Christmas, it was still a wonderful blessing to be with family. Now, I am trying to get myself into the New Year. I’ve never been much of a go-getter when it comes to starting a year. January and February are hard months for me. It’s cold and there is nothing much going on but work and responsibilities, no fun in other words. I’m all about fun, which isn’t always a good thing. So, I decided I needed an attitude adjustment for the New Year. It’s not going away so I might as well try to make the most of it. 


     Of course, first and foremost there are the proverbial New Year’s Resolutions. Okay, I’ll play, here they are (in no certain order)… 


 1) To lose the rest of my weight and keep it off. 
2) To reach my goal of running a 5K five days a week. I’m at 2.30 miles now. 
3) To put into practice what I have learned about God this year and to continue to grow in my relationship with Him. 
4) To spend more quality time with each of my kids individually. 


     I think that’s enough. Publicizing it in writing on the internet should help me with accountability. If not, nothing will. I also want to work on a better chore system around here for the kiddos. I have yet to find one that I don’t abhor. Why can’t they just get up and do what they are supposed to do like I do? I don’t have a chart with stickers but I manage to wash their clothes and cook them dinner. Sometimes I even get a thank you. Sorry, got off on a little tangent there. I will find a system that works this year….somehow. I need to add that to my prayer list. 
      I have also assigned myself a big job for the spring. I am going to head up a Walk for Water for my church. I’m super excited about it, but as exciting as it is, it will be work. It’s good work though, and I can’t wait to get started. I will write more about it when I know more. What I do know is that it is a 4-mile walk to raise money for water wells in third world countries to give these people clean, disease-free drinking water and save lives. All that we have to do is walk four miles, the same distance that many of them walk daily just for the polluted water they drink now. 
      So, now that my focus has been readjusted, I will move on with 2012. Fun doesn’t have to be only carefree and meaningless celebration. It can also be work, made fun. I will just focus on the RESULTS that the hard work will bring. There is definitely fun in being more fit and active, being close with God, having deeper relationships with my children, the children learning better responsibility, and giving to others. Zeroing in on the after instead of the before makes me want to dive in and get started. What is your heart’s desire for this year? Praying God blesses you.

No comments: