Wednesday, January 14, 2015

All Things to All Men




Even though I am a free man with no master, I have become a slave to all people to bring many to Christ. When I was with the Jews, I lived like a Jew to bring the Jews to Christ. When I was with those who follow the Jewish law, I too lived under that law. Even though I am not subject to the law, I did this so I could bring to Christ those who are under the law. When I am with the Gentiles who do not follow the Jewish law,[a] I too live apart from that law so I can bring them to Christ. But I do not ignore the law of God; I obey the law of Christ.


When I am with those who are weak, I share their weakness, for I want to bring the weak to Christ. Yes, I try to find common ground with everyone, doing everything I can to save some. I do everything to spread the Good News and share in its blessings.


1 Corinthians 9:19-23



How do I apply Paul’s philosophy of becoming “all things to all men” to help some get to Christ? I think it’s so important to show people who don’t know Christ and his love that we are all weak and we all make daily mistakes. I don’t want to go around acting perfect and saintly when I know that I’m not. Yes, I want to try hard and I want to be a good example and shine my light before men, but sometimes people need to know that I struggle too. People need to know that sometimes I feel jealous or envious and it causes me to manipulate or try to control others. They need to know that sometimes I turn to worldly things to try to make my problems “go away” only to make more for myself. I sometimes watch and read things that have no value to me whatsoever, and am still trying to learn how to tell myself no. I get grumpy and say some ugly things sometimes, and all I can do is ask for forgiveness….AGAIN. I feel sorry for myself a lot, which causes me to dwell on it and make it all about me. I tell myself I don’t want to be in the spotlight, yet feel hurt when no one notices what I did for them. I tell little white lies and I twist the truth to save others and MYSELF from pain. I’m sure I could go on and on.
The point is I sin every day. I think some people who haven’t been saved think they can’t be because they aren’t ready to change their lives. The truth is, I have to wake up every morning and ask for another chance. I’ve been saved for over 20 years and there is not a day that goes by that I don’t have to ask for forgiveness and for him to keep working on me. I don’t want to display my sin to all men, and I try to live the best life I can. But I need to be honest and tell them that I struggle with that side of me and that’s why I need Christ. I can tell them that now that I have him, I feel it getting better. I feel him working in my life and convicting me and telling me that I don’t have to do those same things to get results.
There is a better way…His way. Slowly but surely I’m learning that as I trust him and follow his lead. Denying myself and turning away from my human nature one trial at a time, I see his results and they are so much better. I still slip up and try to control things and make a mess, and I need to be able to admit that; especially to those who are not a Christian or are a new brother or sister. It’s so important that we encourage each other and sometimes that means admitting that we aren’t perfect and that we talk about our mistakes openly. I want to be able to sit down and talk to a person and have them relate to me and let them know that I get them. I just need to remember that after I've spilled my guts about all of my faults I let them know THIS is why I need Jesus!

No comments: