Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Have an Appointment with God Today

     It’s hard when people don’t understand your love for God.  A life dedicated to serving Him is a life torn.  Days I have planned for Him have to be explained as just that, and in the process things get personal.  Someone takes the commitments I have to mean that I don’t love or care for them.  I do, but I must show my love for him.  I made a promise to Him through salvation, and I want to keep that promise.  It is never my intention to hurt anyone, but only that they might someday make that same commitment and understand.
     “I’m proud to praise God, proud to praise God.  Fearless now, I trust in God; what can mere mortals do to me?” (Ps. 56:10-11 MSG)  I am proud, but also hurt that I have to feel guilty.  I read this verse this morning, and I just wanted to scream the words, but with anger and frustration, not a full of praise kind of scream.  I wanted to justify myself and make everyone who doesn’t understand that love and trust, UNDERSTAND!  Screaming at them won’t work though, for the anger of man doesn’t bring about the righteousness of God.  Prayer and keeping my convictions are all that I can do.  I must deal with my feelings and walk with Him regardless.
     Someday if I am patient, they may come and ask me about those convictions.  They may find them through some other venue.  I pray they do.  I really sat and thought this morning about what the world would be like if we were all Christians.  Think of the conversations we could have.  Think of the relationships that would still be flourishing.  Feelings would not be hurt through angry words, and if they were, pride would be set aside and forgiveness would be more freely given.  We would understand the commitments of our friends and families, and know that serving God came before serving ourselves.  Selfishness would not exist, and another hurting person might be our first thought as we opened our eyes in the morning.  I know that is God’s wish for all of us.
     When I think about it from that perspective, it’s mine too.  I would like a world full of more love and understanding.  I wouldn’t have to explain my service to a God that has given so much to me.  The people around me would know exactly why I want to give Him as much as I can.  He gave me everything.  His son hung in agony and never once blamed a single one of us for what he went through on that cross.  He forgave us right there in the hours of brutal beatings and the slowest most heinous murder I can imagine.  Even when I have a day where I am less than a Christian, and forget my real goals in life and where I am going, he did it for me that day too.  He did it for the ones that don’t understand too and He is patiently waiting for them with open arms.  So, I will be patient and wait too.  Father, forgive them for they know not what they do.

No comments: